A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Gloves- do you don't you?

Re: Gloves- do you don't you?

Postby spottygiraffe » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:45 pm

I used to wear them but like many other pieces of equipment in my horsey armoury they got ditched. I never liked them for schooling, but I did 'need' them sometimes on hacks when Iz would have a bogging off fit and I would end up with burns across my palms from the reins. Obviously none of that is touchy feely or remotely desirable but it was a question of either hacking out or not...amd I latterly chose the option of NOT.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby fabikat » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:57 pm

I am happy to use or not gloves. I got used to them when competing I suppose. I also like to ride without but suffer badly with allergies on my hands so sometimes I use gloves to protect my hands if they are particularly sore.
Hadnt thought about using rope reins when the reins get slippy in the heat. Can you point me in the direction of some Helen I would like to have a look.
katy x
fabikat

Postby Chevalblanc » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:10 pm

fabikat wrote: Can you point me in the direction of some Helen I would like to have a look.

I get mine from this French site: http://www.sellerie-ethologique.com/boutique/fr/

I have fluorescent orange reins, good for being seen out on the road too :-D
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby littlewhitehorse » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:01 pm

Only if hacking when it's very cold. I would go for fingerless for preference. I can't recall ever wearing them for proper riding in the days when I did.
littlewhitehorse

Postby Trudi » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:15 am

I don't get on with rope reins, just find them so thick- jackie's reins are even hairy rope :eek: really don't like those :lol:
Trudi

Postby FlorayG » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:04 am

It's not just hairy rope it's rope made from hair :-D
The purpose is to be more noticable to both horse and hands - you're not supposed to wear gloves with them and the prickles remind you not to hold on tight.
Anyone who wants lightweight totally non-slip washable reins I get plaited polypropylene ones from Plas Equestrian, I used to use these for endurance they are fab in the pouring rain and they last FOR EVER. (and Trudi 'makes' me use these for my lessons :lol: )
FlorayG

Postby JennieF » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:16 am

I really prefer a nice pair of plain leather reins .... not so good in the wet on on a very sweaty horse so I also have some nice plaited (not laced) leather ones ... just dont get on with the feel of 'fat' rope reins ... and I hate the rubber covered ones ... although some of the modern endurance ones are nice and flexible so not so bad ..
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby Trudi » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:03 am

Me too Jennie, in fact I'd like some that are like a piece of leather 'string' - somehow with a delicate rein you are more delicate with the cues.
Trudi

Previous

Return to Discussion