A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Proposition for discussion

Proposition for discussion

Postby FlorayG » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:59 am

I know everyone here loves to discuss stuff so here's one;
"If a horse isn't safe to ride bareback in a headcollar then it isn't safe to ride at all"

discuss

( I will come back later with my views :wink: )
FlorayG

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Proposition for discussion

Postby M-E » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:11 pm

My reply would that no horses is ever safe, that there are many levels of unsafeness, no horse alive out there is totally bomb proof, they are living feeling being with their own mind. worries, loves and fears.
M-E

Postby Chevalblanc » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:24 pm

I think a lot of people out there certainly have the perception that it isn't safe to ride without a saddle and a bit. Was very interesting at the Bob Reader clinic last year to see the reactions of some of the participants when he took all their tack away and had them riding bareback and headcollar with just one leadrope.....

I think taking away the usual tack can certainly show any gaps in a horse's training. And of course nothing is safe if you haven't done your groundwork and shown the horse what is expected, which a lot of people just can't/won't do.
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Trudi » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:34 am

Well in my fluffy happy world of course it is important to be able to ride without all the 'gear' but does that make a horse safe? As M-E says there is no guarantee of safety.

Do I think horses should be ridden bareback in a headcollar? Well I do mine that way sometimes but the practicalities of hacking make a saddle or pad helpful (riding one and leading and finding suitable vaulting spots can be a headache) and comfortable for both of us.
Trudi

Postby Late Starter » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:19 pm

I have heard it said that if your horse is bombproof, you just have not found out about the problem yet.....
Late Starter

Postby FlorayG » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:44 am

I posted this because my new horse was a total nuthead when I first got her and I have been walking her out and eventually I felt happy to get on her bareback for part of the walk; I was musing the first few times that I certainly wouldn't have felt safe doing that with a saddle as no way could I get off quickly enough if :shitfan: if I was on a saddle.
Then I just got into the habit of jumping on bareback and last week I finally put a saddle on. I realised that I was happy to put the saddle on because now my horse feels safe to ride. Then I started thinking about all the people I know who woudl not ride their horse bareback - not because of any fitness or capability problems the riders have but because they say they wouldn't trust their horse bareback i.e. they would be likely to be dumped or run away with if they didn't have a decent anchor point for hauling the horse back into 'control'
Thoughts on this?
FlorayG

Postby Chevalblanc » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:22 pm

I think a lot of people aren't prepared to ride bareback because deep down they are afraid they don't have a good enough seat/balance......they need the "security" of a saddle, whether it's real or perceived. I know people who won't get on without their props or armour on either (body protector/air jacket/crop/martingale/Pelham, the list is endless).
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Return to Discussion