A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Vet or No Vet?

Vet or No Vet?

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:46 pm

Further to a few interesting points being made on the colic thread I thought it might be good to discuss when you should call the vet out and when it's best (if ever) to let nature take its course.

I am a vet-dodger on the whole and I usually just keep an eye on the horse in question and see how it pans out. I had a horse with suspected colic once when I was in the UK and I called the vet straight away because it was pretty obvious that he needed attention, although it turned out that he had tied up and it wasn't colic at all. The only other time I've felt the need to call out the vet was when Kinna and Squaw had their allergy and again it was really obvious that intervention was needed. I guess what is more interesting is the times when I haven't called the vet when perhaps some people would have done...

Mav escaped one night and he found his way into the grain store and ate a half a bin of unsoaked sugarbeet. He seemed completely normal so I just kept an eye on him and nothing ever happened.
Mav again with his laminitis -rather than the vet I get the trimmer out, give him home treatments and just let it run its course, which is usually about 5-7 days of him lying down a lot and then suddenly looking perky again. It does niggle at me that I could get him some pain relief, but I'm not a huge fan of that either unless it's absolutely necessary. I don't mind if anyone disagrees with me for this, as I say I am on the fence about it anyway.
Isba had a very swollen leg and was lame once but I just did the French thing and hosed it and used mud wraps and it went away.

I guess I've been lucky not to have too many incidents, but if horses have a natural life they seem much less likely to need the vet.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Vet or No Vet?

Postby Chevalblanc » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:35 pm

spottygiraffe wrote:
I guess I've been lucky not to have too many incidents, but if horses have a natural life they seem much less likely to need the vet.

:agree:

I'm a vet dodger too, especially with feet related things, having seen what vets do to other people's horses for abscesses etc. That thing with Kinna was the worst that's ever happened to one of mine. G only got scoped for COPD cos Tanya was already taking Soso for the same thing so we could hitch a ride :wink:
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Trudi » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:01 am

Every case is different and living in rural France the veterinary support was patchy and could take a long time to arrive.You learned to deal with most things yourself and were usually offered drugs without them even visiting. That said the vet saved Fidge's life when he had a violent reaction to a bite.
Trudi

Postby FlorayG » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:26 am

I would call the vet immediately if a cut needed stitching but otherwise I probably wouldn't call them for any injury that wasn't obviously life threatening.
Colic has been rare with me - if the horse is up and down and rolling a lot yes I would call the vet ( 3 times in my life) but not if just looking uncomfortable.
Laminitis I would call the vet straight away IF I didn't have the necessary medication already - but I would not let him advise me, only give me the medication I needed :mrgreen:
When Dancing was seriously lame in a hind leg I spent out on x rays, nerve blocks, you name it she had it and the recommended treatment in the end was a year's field rest :roll:
FlorayG

Postby spottygiraffe » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:26 am

Trudi wrote:living in rural France the veterinary support was patchy and could take a long time to arrive.You learned to deal with most things yourself and were usually offered drugs without them even visiting.

I think living in France makes me less likely to call the vet even though I'm more alone. It has given me the confidence to trust my instincts more.
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby M-E » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:33 pm

Trudi wrote:Every case is different and living in rural France the veterinary support was patchy and could take a long time to arrive.You learned to deal with most things yourself and were usually offered drugs without them even visiting. That said the vet saved Fidge's life when he had a violent reaction to a bite.

That is so true Trudi, I very rarely call a vet, only emergency stuff, plus we have now lost both horse vets in this area :thumbdown: cows & pigs are very different to horses, with Bretts hoof at the mo I would have probably had a word with either of them but I have no confidence with the ones we now have.
M-E

Postby spottygiraffe » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:16 pm

M-E wrote: have no confidence with the ones we now have.

Not good :thumbdown: You need to back-up of having someone you can completely trust. It's not individual vets who I'm suspicious of particularly, it's that I find a lot of their initial treatments can be very invasive and sometimes aggressive. I suppose the obvious one that springs to mind is to open up an abscess when it would probably release on its own if left completely alone.
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby FlorayG » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:52 pm

Plus a lot of vets have this terrible I-know-more-than-you attitude
well, clinically maybe they do but this is MY horse and I've had it 20 years. Why won't they listen when I say I think I know what is wrong?
FlorayG

Return to Discussion