A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

To vaccinate, or not?

To vaccinate, or not?

Postby Tess and Organza » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:02 pm

Have any of you chosen not to vaccinate your horses? Am wondering about it...is it really necessary to vaccinate against tetanos every year...the problem is its mixed with the equine flu and the vet doesnt do seperate vaccines. Apart from the cost for 3 horses, Kiri had a reaction to it last year...
Tess and Organza

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: To vaccinate, or not?

Postby M-E » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:19 pm

I have very rarely had the boys done, mainly when I had to, like when Moss went off to school, IF I ever do a trec or randonne and have to then I will but that all
M-E

Postby JennieF » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:40 pm

the tetanus part of the vaccine is good for at least 2 years ... I usually only do Han every other year and ask for a tet only vacc as he had a bad reaction to the combined one a few years ago ... mind you since I have been here he has had the combined and it didnt cause a problem ...
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby Tess and Organza » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:43 pm

What about the grippe part? I thought of trying to get just a single grippe vaccine as mine move about a bit...but not sure how necessary that is either?
Tess and Organza

Postby Trudi » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:07 pm

Only have it as we are required to on the farm- after 20 years I think Moo is pretty tetted up :-D The flu doesn't cover every strain and no I've never known if it was worth doing or not.
Trudi

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:43 pm

Have to admit I have let mine lapse since we don't go anywhere and ours are down the far end in a huge field well away from any other horses.....I'm pretty sure they don't need tetanus every year either. And I agree about the flu, they can't even get a human flu vaccine to work on all the different strains so I doubt the equine one is 100% effective either. Suppose I'd better start again though if we want to go and do HBA anywhere. They insist on 2 primary vacs here rather than just the one you had to have in France, so more expense. :thumbdown:
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby FlorayG » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:40 pm

NO :thumbdown:
When I developed a nasty reaction to my 3 yearly tetanus vaccine the nurse just said "oh well you have had plenty you are probably safe for life anyway" and I haven't had one since for 20 years.
I don't have my horses vaccinated as if I call the vet for a nasty deep cut they get a tetanus anti-toxin anyway. And I think the 'flu jab for horses a waste of money unless you are competing in a sport where it is required
FlorayG

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:15 am

Nope, I don't get mine done. They never go anywhere and they never come into contact with other horses. Why put them through the stress (mind and body)?
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Return to Discussion