A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Voice cues or body language

Re: Voice cues or body language

Postby poneysPie » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:32 am

Chevalblanc wrote:
:agree:

Amazing how a horse can be completely different when there's a change of owner sometimes......

Same thing happens with children..... how often have you seen an absolute "brat" turn into an :angel: when the parents are taken out of the equation?

:hide: :hide:
“Ask often; be content with little, praise a great deal.” (Nuno Oliveira)
poneysPie

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:31 pm

poneysPie wrote:Same thing happens with children..... how often have you seen an absolute "brat" turn into an when the parents are taken out of the equation?

True, I think that does happen but for different reasons. They do save up their worst brattiness especially for the parents and can be little angels for other people :angel:

Chevalblanc wrote:Amazing how a horse can be completely different when there's a change of owner sometimes.....

:agree:
littlewhitehorse wrote:that you're still thinking about it even though you've taken a break from training and riding; I do think with you that you just haven't found your true path and there is so much more out there in horsemanship for you to discover when you come back to it, which I hope you will when you're ready.

Intriguing that you think I haven't found my true path yet.......
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby littlewhitehorse » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:47 pm

One thing that nobody has mentioned so far is breathing. If we learn to think about how we breathe, then to tune into and control it, this is a powerful connection with the horse. This is the most subtle and almost invisible way that horses communicate and we can learn a lot by observing their breathing patterns as well as our own, and use it to communicate or connect to the horse.

Constant chatter or criticism aimed at or around our horse is not simply white noise but demonstrates a nervous state to the horse who is likely to respond negatively. It is the erratic breathing and high energy tone not the actual words having the effect of stressing or upsetting the horse.

Breathing can affect our mental and physical state and it is something the horse is very aware of while humans tend not to be. How we breathe is often shown in how we talk and it can be this rather than the words we use that the horse is responding to. To communicate efficiently with the horse we should be aware of our breathing and able to control it. Something we probably tend to think about more when riding than on the ground, e.g. inhaling and exhaling when going up or down through the paces. I expect most of use the basics, being aware that we need to remain calm if the horse gets stressed or is worried by something he's heard or seen, lowering of body energy and controlled breathing to calm a nervous horse; we know that to breathe out releases tension and communicates to the horse that we're not worried and he needn't be.

I have been thinking of this as part of my body language and energy control but really it is fundamental to communication. It is used by many trainers across the disciplines, dressage as I'm sure Trudi will confirm, and in natural horsemanship methods.

This thread is very thought provoking and is making me think beyond every phrase and dig down through the levels to get to the basis of communication. Not just the effect or what we see but the why it happens and where it starts.
littlewhitehorse

Postby Chevalblanc » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:48 pm

Good point, Sheila. In the 3 minute horsemanship book one of the exercises is to try and synchronise your movement to the horse's - and that include your breathing!
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Tess and Organza » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:09 pm

Really interesting :thumbup:
Tess and Organza

Postby JennieF » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:26 pm

I'm really enjoying this thread - yes breathing Sheila :agree: - something that I know Susan speaks about - I will often take a deep breath and 'mirror' Bandit when he spies something scary in the distance, then let it out and relax - seems to help him to realize that its nothing to worry about. Must admit that I dont think about it often when I am with the others though ...
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby M-E » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:29 pm

Breathing is also considered very important when doing the MM to help the horses release, if you hold your breath because you are consertating they can't fully release,

I think I am a mainly vocal with the boys, I would just confuse the hell out of them with my body language, not mastered the nack so keping it the same day to day :roll: :lol:
M-E

Postby Trudi » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:40 am

Good point though M-E, consistency is important, same every time is good as is sticking to what you know.
Yes breathing, Jenny Rolfe does the heart/breath dressage thing, didn't get it myself but it works for her and that is important too, belief in the system you use.
I do a breathing exercise, not for specific aiding but to de-contract each bit of my body and make me aware of every part of me. It works for me and some of my students have felt it very helpful but not all. I use a steady breathing out to let Chaps know (usually in-hand) that something is safe to pass.
Great thread but I am so blinking busy at the moment I don't feel I'm doing it justice Sheila.
Trudi

Postby spottygiraffe » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:00 am

Breathing, yes. Something I use a lot with Isba -a long exhale seems to be reassuring to her. I think it also helps me lower my energy, which I'm not very good at doing.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby glenatron » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:20 pm

After watching Mark Rashid I started exhaling through transitions ( in both directions ) and these days I find that particularly for downward changes it's all I need to do, although I'm sure there is other stuff my body is up to.
glenatron

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion