A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Mouthy horses

Re: Mouthy horses

Postby fabikat » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:39 pm

Interesting replies here. Thank you :-D

I think the response from M -E would be quite common among people who have not used much , if any, clicker work.
Initially I am going to try the 'lets just ignore it' route. We did some inhand work today and he was certainly better than the other day. I will post a link to the video once I have sent my ID entry.

As I say he is not biting me just nibbling and mouthing so he may just grow out of it and/or find another distraction :wink:
katy x
fabikat

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby M-E » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:59 am

fabikat wrote:
I think the response from M -E would be quite common among people who have not used much , if any, clicker work:

That wasn't what I meant, I have a friend on another forum and we had talked about doing Clicker with Moss, (she does clicker every day and has really stuied it) her thoughts where that Clicker should have only been tried (with Moss) with a highly qualifed clicker trainer not one for newbie, in our talks she has talked about how it can take two to three weeks for a mouthy horse to get the ground rules before you start work, the amount of people who get a bag of bon bons and go for it without understanding it, (a bit like people who watch a Monty or P vid and do it) and it goes pear shaped, I am using bons bons to get Tiky to hold his back legs up but I wouldn't call it clicker just he gets a reward if he does as I ask. the main thing in my book is to understand why it's mouthy, Moss it has turned out was pain & play for his biteing
M-E

Postby fabikat » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:46 pm

Oh ok, I understand M-E.
That's why it is difficult sometimes to know if you should try something new, as you said it can all go pear shaped. Atm it is not a real problem for me which is why I am going to try and ignore it for the main part. It is interesting to know that your friend who is experienced with clicker felt that in some circumstances it is best for a novice not to attempt it.
katy x
fabikat

Previous

Return to Discussion