A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Falling Leaf or Half Circle exercise

Falling Leaf or Half Circle exercise

Postby littlewhitehorse » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:57 pm

I saw this on FB and the article reminded me of a groundwork exercise which I haven't tried with Fina before but should be a good one for what I've been doing with her, putting together things we've been working on. I tend to need ideas! I know it as the Falling Leaf pattern but here it's called the Half Circle exercise : https://eclectic-horseman.com/the-half-circle-exercise/ and is described by BB who is not everyone's cuppa tea, I know :wink:. This is a good way of putting together several elements or movements into what should eventually become a flowing groundwork exercise. Obviously you would teach the elements first, and gradually build up the movement. It gives you something to do with those elements, rather than just repeating them without purpose until the horse gets dull. I would aim to be doing it at a longer distance than in the photos, but I guess he's doing it his way, and just starting it with the horse in the pics.

Does anyone do this, or similar, in other disciplines, and maybe know the exercise by another name?
littlewhitehorse

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Falling Leaf or Half Circle exercise

Postby Trudi » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:58 pm

:hmmm: looks like a moving turn on the forehand from hand to hand but it's not a specific movement in dressage but one that I might use when developing a good hindleg placement. Look forward to hearing how this progresses with Fina.
Trudi

Postby Chevalblanc » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:28 pm

Another thing to try with Tari maybe, she is pretty good a TOTF these days......
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby littlewhitehorse » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:33 pm

Trudi wrote::hmmm: looks like a moving turn on the forehand from hand to hand

:thumbup: Another name for it, sounding a bit more classical, although I like the other names which describe the patterns, this explains the movement better.
Had a go with Fina this afternoon, it went well, no video though :oops: maybe next time, and it really lifts up and lightens the forehand :)
Quite interesting trying it with different tools, switching hands with the stick is tricky but easier for the horse to read making her anticipate and lift up nicely, she got quite into it which is why a pattern gives them something to do. Will be taking this further, great exercise :)
littlewhitehorse

Postby JennieF » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:09 pm

will have a go with the Spanish boy - might have to introduce it a bit slowly or I think he might get a bit :random:

Darwin needs to do things too as he is getting bored and is going through a bit of a stroppy teenager phase so maybe its time I did a bit more with him too ... if only there were more hours in a day .......
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby spottygiraffe » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:36 pm

Falling Leaf is a great way of describing it. It's also a technique in snowboarding :xmaslaugh:
Looks like a really good one to try with Fina, Tari and the Spaniard :thumbup: Maybe we should have some video footage of the attempts -it's been ages since we had a little challenge going on and this would be interesting.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Chevalblanc » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:50 am

Good idea, if it ever stops raining. We have nowhere to do anything at the moment as all the fields are so sodden and our little undercover pen is full of sheep :?
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby JennieF » Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:38 pm

spottygiraffe wrote:Maybe we should have some video footage of the attempts -it's been ages since we had a little challenge going on and this would be interesting.

:agree: I was thinking the same thing - will see if I can get some film - later in the week when the weather is better - forecast is wind and rain for the next few days -it feels like eing back in Brittany out there tonight :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby spottygiraffe » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:34 pm

Yay! Well no time scale, but it would be lovely to see the vids when you get the chance.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby littlewhitehorse » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:04 pm

Good idea, although winter has just arrived here, I'd almost forgotten what mud was like :roll:
littlewhitehorse

Next

Return to Discussion