A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Trimming, hogging, pulling.....

Trimming, hogging, pulling.....

Postby Chevalblanc » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:54 pm

Just seen a friend on FB disagreeing with people hogging a horse's mane simply because they like the look of it like that and getting a lot of stick for saying it's a selfish thing to do. So quick survey then, do you ever trim, clip or pull hair? If so, why?

We're guilty of chopping Fina's mane as she came with it like that and I sort of felt I should keep it that way to please a certain person, obviously this was not a good reason and in any case she looks nicer with it as it is now :-D We also hogged G once or twice because he got so many burrs in his mane it wouldn't actually move :roll: We did the French version, leaving a couple of inches to stick up and leaving the forelock on, I really don't like the way they take it all off over here.

Have never pulled a mane or tail, think it's a horrible thing to do!
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Trimming, hogging, pulling.....

Postby M-E » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:48 pm

I have never tried to cut or pull any manes or tails well ok I did once pull out some grey hairs in my pony's black tail :lol: but then I do like a full mane & tail :-D Hogging :hmmm: I don't really like it although it does suit Fjords, hogging because a showing rule says so I don't like at all, if it has a reason, sweat itch, field companion chewing it off, say a hard working logging horse that needs to keep cool etc, ok at least if it's cut it can grow back unlike docking, so while not particularly liking it personally I wouldn't call somebody selfish for doing it.
M-E

Postby JennieF » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:06 am

I've done all 3 in the past - these days though everyone is pretty much as they come ... and tbh honest if I am going to shorten a mare it is more often with careful use of scissors... although pulling is the only way to do it properly :hide: especially if you are going to plait as otherwise the mane is way too thick ....
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby FlorayG » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:45 am

No I don't agree with it either but then I think short manes look awful. I do trim Kitty's beard (NOT her whiskers!) as it gets caught up in the bridle otherwise.
Also there are cases when it is OK to hog - a horse with sweetitch is more easily kept comfortable if hogged as you can get at the skin to treat more easily. I agonised for weeks over hogging my mare that had it but in the end I did it and she was so much better for it.
But these are all practical reasons, I wouldn't do it for fashion
FlorayG

Postby Trudi » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:20 am

Never pull. Never clip. Often trim tails to avoid them being trodden on. Don't usually touch manes but last year I hogged (and it has remained :hide: ) Moralejo's mane as it was very heavy at the top (causing his nuchal ligament to tip that way) and eaten (thanks Chapiro) at the bottom. I do it with scissors and so it's not short but he looks (and his neck looks) better for it imo. It is certainly no fashion statement :lol:
Trudi

Postby Chevalblanc » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:04 am

G doesn't have Moo's problem, his mane has got much thinner as he gets older, especially at the bottom of his neck, but that may be from Tari's mutual grooming attentions!

I found a pic of his burrs before I had to chop them all out!

ImageGandalf's hairdo 006rs by Helen Barnes, on Flickr
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby spottygiraffe » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:44 pm

I have trimmed feathers, whiskers and pulled manes in the past...a long, long time ago. Now I am older and wiser! I trim the very bottom of Izzie's tail because it is very straggly at the end -that is aesthetic I suppose -but everything else I do now is purely functional. I chop out any dreadlocks that form in her mane and that's about it. Squaw doesn't get dreadlocks or a straggly tail and Mav has more of a donkey mane so his isn't problematic at all.

I am so against the trimming of whiskers in any circumstances. Who the hell are we to make animals conform to our ideals of what is attractive or not, especially with such sensitive and functional parts of them?
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby FlorayG » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:22 pm

Chevalblanc I've had burrs that bad in Kitty's mane - have you no patience? :wink:
and of course some decent detangler...

Burrs in the tail here's a tip - dip the tail for a few seconds in as near boiling water as you can get then they come out really easily. Obviously only the hair part of the tail not the dock
FlorayG

Postby Chevalblanc » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:02 pm

FlorayG wrote:Chevalblanc I've had burrs that bad in Kitty's mane - have you no patience? :wink:

No. And actually he did look quite cool with his mane "en brosse" - but it soon grew back.....

I've just cut Sky's tail too short (again) when trimming off the straggly shitty bits, I am a crap hairdresser :oops:
Helen

Chevalblanc

Return to Discussion