A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

The non ridden horse

Re: The non ridden horse

Postby spottygiraffe » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:18 am

That doesn't surprise me at all, there are some real extremists out there -which is fine - but what is there to gain by chucking someone out of a group? You can only help educate and (perhaps) shape someone's behaviour through discussion and information. It's people like that who give veganism a bad name because it just makes us seem even more preachy and cranky and veganism even less understandable and achievable.

My feeling is that they our not 'ours' to exploit, but domesticated horses do need us to fulfil certain needs of theirs. However, they do not need to be ridden by us so it is a hedonistic activity but I think if a horse has as natural life as possible, plenty of contact with other horses and is ridden in a sympathetic way then I am fine with that. I much prefer riding to other things human do to/with horses.

I did a Google and there is a lot of passion about the subject (surprise!). I found this piece gave a pretty good overview:

http://bitesizevegan.com/ethics-and-mor ... -it-vegan/
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Trudi » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:12 am

I don't mind some passion about life choices but some of the groups on FB have some pretty vitriolic rants at times. Like you say itjust turns people off when it's too preachy. I like BtK for that reason- open minded and showing the way rather than preachy.
Trudi

Postby Tess and Organza » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:39 am

Hadn't been on and seen this post till Helen mentioned it last night.
The riding question came up for me a long time before being vegan. Organza obviously dislikes it so much. There have been times on her back that I have had this marvellous feeling of her allowing it. Of her relaxing enough to accept the thing and of long canters that she thoroughly enjoyed and didnt buck for joy or anger either out of consideration for me or temporary complicity with her rider. And thoroughly enjoyed the huge praise I heaped on her for allowing this shown by a higher proud step and gentle head weaving which is how Ganz shows happiness in motion, you can more or less see her smiling.
It wasnt just a case of me being a crap or fearful rider. Ive come to realise shes never liked it. With anyone.
Probably for her own entirely personal reasons I imagine. Who knows perhaps it goes against HER own moral code ;)
I got fed up with the stress of it which corresponded with my illness taking hold and just stopped.
Many many times I have put her through various training plans with a view to an end of safe and pleasant riding (thinking primarily of myself of course) and many times have stopped because she"s said no and I didnt want her bullied or coerced in any way, just felt wrong.
BUT I do believe that horses kept by us need to be safe to handle and desensitized for many practical and emergency situations. Ganz and I have a wonderful relationship and she too is a beautiful soul but we need to work at trust in hand outside of the field as her dislike of ridden also extends to the headcollar where she loathes the constraint and possibility that she wont be able to get away if she needs to.
Not sure about riding generally..could it depend on the horse? Netty seemed to enjoy it thoroughly as did Kyriane...maybe I was mistaken but they both seemed to express pleasure in the complicity feeling and shared experience. Im talking about hacks out not schooling which like me they loathe...so boring.
Playing is the way to go to begin with. Id like to see if I could ride Kiki out one day as I would really like to get back into long rides. But Id have to feel certain she was loving it and my company.
My ideal would be a chunk of varied terrain and them to have a free life. But this is of course only my projection not theirs...although their eyes tell you clearly their feelings as with all creatures.
Hoping to kick start some very unintrusive games whilst Helens over eventually leading to safely going out of the field in hand for Ganza...just to graze tbh and eleviate boredom. But by games I mean very short sessions to begin with. We already do deplacements all the time for practical reasons and it would be nice to develope that :)
Tess and Organza

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:26 am

Tess has gone to the airport and I've already got started :xmaswink:

ImageWP_20161220_09_19_00_Rich by Helen Barnes, on Flickr

ImageWP_20161220_09_22_57_Rich by Helen Barnes, on Flickr
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Tess and Organza » Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:27 pm

We've been somewhat hampered by really crap and uninspiring weather and Christmas drunkeness and bloating... :xmaslaugh: but my pones have still been in and out of the field more than they have for quite awhile.
Much less stress for Ganzi to accept small seperations now and this can be built on. I also rode again for the horseback archery hurray! And felt really comfortable back on board tbh so I think Kiki will be out and about before too long :)
Tess and Organza

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:50 am

Interesting post on the subject here: http://www.listentoyourhorse.com/true-m ... g-to-ride/
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby littlewhitehorse » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:30 pm

Nice story in that last blog post, looks like some other interesting thoughtful posts on there. As you know, some years ago I had to resign myself to possibly never riding Luice again, one of the highlights of 2016 has been riding her again, and in fact we have a much stronger partnership now, even though I spent months of groundwork when she first came before I felt she was ready to be ridden. In the methods I follow as often mentioned the groundwork is the basis for riding and teaching and if it ain't working on the ground it won't be better from the saddle. PNH has a big thing about the horse giving you permission to ride, and one of the aspects that drew me to it in the first place is liberty riding, which is possible once you have the feel, timing, and connection. Another, that is relevant here, is not putting your goals first, this is hard to explain, but there is a difference between being motivated and having aims or goals, and not making those more important than taking care of the relationship, which brings us back to not riding because others think you should or the horse isn't ready. If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't, and like the blog post above, you will know when it is right :-D
littlewhitehorse

Postby Tess and Organza » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:19 pm

Nice blog post. :)
Wonder if any of mine will ever ask me to ride...will have to look out for signs ;)
Funny enough a few weeks ago Ganz let me have a lay down with her, she usually gets up if you go in the field. Joining her for a nap felt as nice as a ride tbh :)
Tess and Organza

Postby Chevalblanc » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:26 am

I put that post on our FB page and it's been viewed over 800 times and shared 12 times which is very unusual, so it clearly strikes a chord with people.....
Helen

Chevalblanc

Previous

Return to Discussion