Postby Chevalblanc » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:08 am

Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: The non ridden horse

Postby spottygiraffe » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:25 pm

I was talking to Angus about this only yesterday. He suddenly had a moment of clarity and asked "Do you not ride the horses any more because it's not vegan?'. It is more complex than that, but he is essentially right. I do have to question whether it is right or not. I am sure that they enjoy learning and interracting with us but they weren't designed to be ridden. It's too huge a topic, but that's kind of where I am.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Trudi » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:16 pm

but that's kind of where I am.

Which is why I have never felt you would get back to it ever
Trudi

Postby spottygiraffe » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:56 pm

Trudi wrote:Which is why I have never felt you would get back to it ever

That's interesting, Trudi! Maybe you understood me even more than I did. I could find a way where I found it acceptable but it would take so much work and I don't think I've got the skills. I'd like to think I'll get back into doing more groundwork in the future, more 'play', but again, I am lacking in skills and I have got things wrong in the past.
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:36 pm

spottygiraffe wrote: I am lacking in skills and I have got things wrong in the past.

Just because you've got things wrong in the past doesn't mean you shouldn't try in the future though. Even if you never ride again you can still do plenty with them, they might enjoy the challenge.......we get it wrong all the time, especially with Sky, it just makes me want to figure it out better and improve what I'm doing.

Was talking to Ali about this thread, she doesn't feel that she shouldn't be riding as a vegan. She still has a leather saddle, but has said if she ever needs new tack she'd get synthetic. As for her nice new shiny leather sidepull - it's gathering dust in the tack room :lol:
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby JennieF » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:08 pm

We all get it wrong sometimes Sarah .... I got it spectacularly wrong with Bandit the other day, which resulted in him pissing off out of the school and up the road trailing the long reins :thumbdown: :thumbdown: but, he stopped and waited for me to come and rescue him and then I bought him back down into the school and did some more work on a single line and he was just amazing ... so soft and connected :thumbup: :thumbup:
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby M-E » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:19 pm

Chevalblanc wrote:
spottygiraffe wrote: I am lacking in skills and I have got things wrong in the past.

Just because you've got things wrong in the past doesn't mean you shouldn't try in the future though. Even if you never ride again you can still do plenty with them, they might enjoy the challenge.......we get it wrong all the time, especially with Sky, it just makes me want to figure it out better and improve what I'm doing.

:agree: I have done loads of things wrong in the past and still do, I just go with Mark Rashids thing, Mistakes are only a problem if you don't learn from them, there are lots of things you can do whether it's play (I spent an hour faffing around with Christmas hats this evening :lol: ) or teaching the horses to help with the vineyard work, I think horses enjoy being part of a team and dong stuff, it is hard when you are totally on your own, I find it much more fun when I have somebody with me but I still carry on all be it slowly on my own.
M-E

Postby Trudi » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:46 am

Sarah you most definitely have the skill- what you lack is time. You've done brilliantly with your own competitive endeavours but it takes time and balancing the family, the other animals and the vines doesn't leave much spare.
There's a period in life that is right for things and right now you have other things that you're pursuing. The horses are happy but don't let getting it wrong stop you trying to do 'stuff' with them in the future.
Trudi

Postby spottygiraffe » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:36 pm

Chevalblanc wrote:Was talking to Ali about this thread, she doesn't feel that she shouldn't be riding as a vegan. She still has a leather saddle, but has said if she ever needs new tack she'd get synthetic. As for her nice new shiny leather sidepull - it's gathering dust in the tack room

I don't think it says anywhere that vegans don't agree with horse riding, it is just something I personally feel since becoming vegan because it changed the way I look at the whole world. It has nothing to do with veganism per se; I should have expressed myself better. I would never judge anyone else for riding and I know it's just me being a crank. Well, I would judge some people for riding if they do it in an abusive way :wink: I still have all my leather tack and my car has leather seats ( I bought it secondhand and would never have chosen them new). I would never buy anything new made of leather but after a lot of reflection I can't see how it would do any good selling my leather stuff and buying synthetic replacements -more stuff means more manufacturing and it is highly unlikely that the components of a synthetic bridle are totally vegan anyway.

Chevalblanc wrote:Even if you never ride again you can still do plenty with them, they might enjoy the challenge.....

Oh Mav would, I'm sure. I just can never commit to anything that I can't throw myself into fully and that includes trying to get one of all of them back into some kind of routine.

JennieF wrote: but, he stopped and waited for me to come and rescue him and then I bought him back down into the school and did some more work on a single line and he was just amazing ... so soft and connected

What a good boy! Sounds like you two have a really great relationship.
M-E wrote:there are lots of things you can do whether it's play (I spent an hour faffing around with Christmas hats this evening ) or teaching the horses to help with the vineyard work, I think horses enjoy being part of a team and dong stuff, it is hard when you are totally on your own

I agree with all the above, but as I mentioned I don't like half-measures so I'd rather not do anything with them than try to start up again and then have the pressure of trying to stick to it.

Trudi wrote:There's a period in life that is right for things and right now you have other things that you're pursuing.

That's it in a nutshell. I've got a small window where I can still be vaguely competitive at this running malarkey and it is something that I love but it takes up all my free time. Trust me not just to get into running but ultra running. When I get too old and slow I hope, I really do, that I will feel that old spark in me that wants to work with the horses in whatever capacity. It was a huge part of me that just isn't there at the moment and I think they probably would enjoy it, but I also think that they are perfectly happy as they are. Don't get me wrong, I do still hang out with them every day but with no agenda and no structure. I don't think it's a 'shame' or a 'waste' and I don't feel any guilt about it whatsoever, only the weight of feelings other people seem to have about the issue.
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby Chevalblanc » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:10 pm

spottygiraffe wrote:I don't think it says anywhere that vegans don't agree with horse riding

I'm in a bitless group on FB, and a lot of the members are veggies or vegans. Some of the vegans have reported been chucked out of vegan groups for saying that they ride their horses. Seems there are quit a few out there who definitely don't agree with it!!
Helen

Chevalblanc

Next

Return to Discussion