A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

I'm so unable to make up my mind please help...

I'm so unable to make up my mind please help...

Postby FlorayG » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:33 pm

Today was a lovely day, sun shining, birds singing, Kitty and I went up on the Quantocks for the first time this year.
On the way back I realised I wasn't REALLY enjoying myself. Because I was riding Kitty. And Kitty is well trained, compliant and just bloody LAZY.
It's not her fault, she's just so laid back it's a wonder she doesn't fall over, lots of people love to ride her but I just find it BORING and I have been trying for ages to get somebody to share and ride her but nobody around here is interested. Until her mother died I rarely rode Kitty at all because her mother was a real livewire and great fun to ride - AND enjoyed being ridden and getting out and about.
So my dilemma is this; do I just give up on riding Kitty altogether and let her retire and get fat, and I start to work entirely with Dut ( who is now nearly 5 so ready to work)? Once I completely stop riding Kitty she would take months to get slim and fit again because of her age ( she is 26) and the fact that she is unable to raise any enthusiasm for work, so that would be it, it wouldn't be fair to have somebody else start riding her mid-summer.
It's just that it seems such a SHAME for a lovely horse so easy to ride will be doing nothing
I can't make up my mind at all - I love Kitty and would never let her go, I tried advertising her for loan but everyone who applied was unsuitable and/or too far away.
I don't know what to do... :hmmm:
FlorayG

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: I'm so unable to make up my mind please help...

Postby JennieF » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:43 pm

Does she enjoy being ridden ???? would she be happy just getting fat in the field and not having to go out ....

I haven't ridden my arab mare for a year and she makes it obvious that she is hating retirement - she calls to me every time I catch Bandit and load him up to go somewhere so I am going to start riding her just once a week and see how she feels ... if she can cope physically with the work I think she will be a lot happier ... but it sounds to me as if your girl might be happy just doing nothing ...
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby Trudi » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:17 am

:agree: what Jennie said.
Trudi

Postby FlorayG » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:47 am

I made the decision at the weekend. I'm fed up with trying to find somebody else to ride her so she's now officially retired. Maybe for laughs we might do some agility - she can be agile, she just can't be hurried :lol:
So Monday evening I started again with Dut. We just went out for a walk (first time this year) and she was lovely. She's mid-cycle so not hormonal.
Starting Dut on Regumate today
FlorayG

Postby nicxf » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:56 am

Good luck, sounds like a good decision. Fun starting with a new one too!
nicxf

Postby littlewhitehorse » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:31 am

:thumbup:
littlewhitehorse

Return to Discussion