A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Say what you see...

Say what you see...

Postby Trudi » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:21 pm

As in Roy Walker's 'Catchphrase' :xmaslaugh: :xmaslaugh: It might be helpful to discuss things that we see as it's often easy to throw out comments without knowing what we are really seeing. If we post pics of 'others' then I think we need to edit heads off otherwise it's a bit unfair.

OK in an effort to see things clearly I'll start with a pic of me and the Moo. Now where to start because there is a LOT wrong, not least with me looking like a sack of shite :xmaslaugh: I had my droopy right shoulder which I've almost conquered most of the time now and hardly ever is uncomfortable (in fact my left is now more painful :xmaseyes: )

Anyway forget me (if you can) and say what you see in the horse, I won't be offended I know his faults well enough.

Trudi

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Say what you see...

Postby Chevalblanc » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:43 pm

You don't look like a sack of shite to me.....

He looks a bit like he's got his weight on the forehand but looking at the angle of the ground not being parallel to the edge of the pic that might be the reason....?
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby spottygiraffe » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:08 pm

What an absolutely marvellous idea. It might help me get my eye in and see if I can ever spot what's going on -which I am not convinced I can.

I was thinking Moo was on his forehand too, Helen. If you took his legs away he would fall forwards :xmaslaugh: That i/s hind is really trailing -he doesn't look 'through'. Being really picky, his poll isn't the highest point either and I don't think he is btv, but he is sailing close to it.

Well done for going first, Trudi, we can do me too!
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby spottygiraffe » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:10 pm

Oh and btw, I can see your droopy shoulder but your shoulder/hip/heel alignment is fab and the other nice thing about this photo is that Moo has got his ears on you and is obviously really listening.
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby Bonbon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:03 pm

It looks like the weight is on the shoulders and he's not bringing his back legs underneath him properly. It may be just the way the pics been taken, but it gives the impression of him leaving his back legs behind and perhaps not bending his hocks enough.
I can see the shoulder too, but as Sarah says your alignment looks ok. It looks like your heels are being pushed down a little too far, whether or not it's pushing your lower leg forward, I don't know, it's hard to tell from this angle.

It's a pic that wouldn't attract too much criticism, I think, despite what you say. :thumbup:
Bonbon

Postby spottygiraffe » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:50 pm

Bonbon wrote:It's a pic that wouldn't attract too much criticism, I think, despite what you say.

My thoughts exactly.
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby fabikat » Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:57 pm

Not a lot more to add here really.
The first thing that hit me was the hind end. Definitely trailing to my eye.
The angle of a foto can change the view of things too.
He looks to be nicely taking the contact with a gentle arch to his neck. Perhaps could come up a little more through the wither.
I too see your collapsed shoulder , I own one as well. :xmaslaugh:
I also see too much weight in your heels which is maybe causing you to hug the horse less with your leg.
Fab to see you looking forwards and not studying the horses neck and ears though :thumbup:

It almost seems a sin to criticise (sorry can't remember how to spell, is that correct?) as generally the foto gives a good overall impression.
happy horse and rider :xmassmile:
katy x
fabikat

Postby Trudi » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:22 pm

:thumbup: :thumbup: excellent feedback! Thanks for joining in everyone.

Agree about the heels although I would say that the size of his girth makes it very hard to 'drape' your leg :xmaslaugh:

I would say that he looks hollow (look behind the saddle) and not actually as downhill/on the forehand as you might think, below is the pic straightened up (it was taken from a position outside of the school uphill from it well done Helen for spotting that).

He is camped out behind, partly due to the moment of the walk stride and partly because he is rather a dippy backed boy so he does 'contained' or strung out but not a lot between (bear in mind he hadn't been in work for nearly two years before this point, story of our lives really).

The poll not being the highest part is another great thread, if you have something with any crest then it's quite hard to maintain the poll as the highest and their polls are still the highest point of the vertebrae if you think how the spine goes from between the ears down to the chest.

He probably is behind the vertical a fraction but I wouldn't want to bet my life on it from that angle.

Overall I don't like his frame but I'll accept that aside from it not being a great moment in time picture it was where we were at.

Shortly after this we abandoned the bit and this much later one (I think taken by Di :tongue: ) I'm happier with in some ways but that's because I know how it felt! I was trialling the Barefoot and trying rising trot so ignore the legs. I'm SCREAMING at myself 'give the bloody inside rein' :rofl: whilst I don't have him 'on' it I am still blocking his inside with my inside tension which then screws my upper body position :banghead:

Just my thoughts and not saying I'm correct, we all see something different, that's the point. Carry on everyone :thumbup: the shoulders are broad enough.
Trudi

Postby Chevalblanc » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:17 am

Ok, here's one of me for you, my position is awful :oops:

Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby spottygiraffe » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:54 am

Trudi wrote:Carry on everyone the shoulders are broad enough.

None of it is meant as criticism in the slightest -I would be delighted to have Iz looking like that! We are very much nit-picking :tongue:

Did you mean to post another photo, T?

Good idea about poll high thread :hurray: Sounds very interesting.

Helen -just having a squizz at yours. You say your position is awful, but you are sitting further forward in the saddle than you sometimes do and I think it gives you quite a nice alignment there.It looks to me like you could put your shoulders back a little, but it might be hard to do without getting tense and hollowing your back. I like big G too -he is obviously carrying his weight nicely back and his i/s hind looks to be engaged (although I'm not very good at spotting that!). Things are happening in the right order here -if you could chuck in a bit more softness and bend at the front then it would be fab. And I like it so much better than seeing a horse reeled in at the front with the backside doing nothing.
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Next

Return to Discussion