A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Horsewatching

Horsewatching

Postby Chevalblanc » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:54 am

Just read this excellent blog post by our very own Sheila (who hides her light under a bushel :wink: )

http://littlewhitehorse.blogspot.fr/201 ... 1790380580

So who spends time watching their horses interact? I am fascinated by my lot, the moves they make, the faces they pull! And yes, sometimes I am surprised by how forceful a horse has to be to get their own way, yet at other times a mere look will get results.....

Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Horsewatching

Postby M-E » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:26 pm

A great Blog Shelia

I love whatching the boys together, Poor old Brett is pretty fit these days keeping Moss in line, although :crossfingers: Moss has matured a bit and they are not "at it" like last year, Moss is still second in comand, I know that Mares and gelding sort things in a diffant way but it does look quite cute when Moss is stood in the foal postion next to Brett :lol: I have had a few poeple who have wanted to buy Brett's foal :lol:

A couple of vids of Moss and Brett from last year
Brett is going along with it to a certain point and the about 20 seconds from the end he has had enough and ups the pressure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHp3zcKPRoA

This one always makes me laugh, from when Moss was two, again Brett really has to up the anti

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovVq_YmIbaY

With Teepy he worked Moss in a differant style, he did moving and driving Moss on from behind and would also walk into and push him out of the way, sadly Teepy has to be kept out these day as Moss is just so big he can flattern Teepy and Teepy is just too old to take it and survive, the natural way I suppose but it still doesn't make it nice
Again Moss at two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfzR6XuQin4
M-E

Postby littlewhitehorse » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:41 pm

Thanks Helen! Great photo of your two. :thumbup: Yes, let's post our photos & videos here - I was thinking as I was writing the blog post that I should have got video but the camera is never there when you want it :banghead: Will try harder to get some video of Fina & Lucie.

M-E, love the videos; I just love the second video, that's priceless :thumbup: :hurray: (It reminds me of me first thing in the morning before my coffee, and Dan who has been up for hours is bouncing & ready to talk & wants to do things :random: :lol: ) The third video is a good study of the 3 of them. So interesting to see a boys herd for comparison.
littlewhitehorse

Postby JennieF » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:20 pm

great blog post Sheila - I love just watching them too
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby Trudi » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:43 pm

Good piece Sheila :thumbup: and great for a discussion.
Love the vids M-E, Moss would test a saint :lol:
I love watching them and spent way too long in France just sat with them. I loved this best when they were away from the house/yard fields as they seemed so much more independent in those fields and more 'horse' like. Herd hierarchy is an important part of how we see horses but although I'm very aware of my placement and energy during my training I'm no behaviourist so have opted for a less obvious assertion in my own horses world, although I understand well (and did use for years) the use of pressure and release I now prefer the ask to the tell but just as with humans it's necessary to tell sometimes :wink:
I'm not convinced how real our own little herds are when resources are strictly controlled by us but yes I've seen Chapiro as the pushy one in a certain situation who then becomes the docile one in other situations. I certainly know that they behave differently when I'm around.
I'm wondering if, in time, Fina will gain her confidence and no longer give to Lucie's pressure? A new home after a journey and being on the back foot as the new girl making her less emotionally strong at the first meeting. Perhaps they will decide neither needs to control and that the food is regular, the space plentiful and the fun days out with their human sufficiently stimulating to just enjoy each other's company and spend their days scratching and fly flicking :lol: I'm really looking forward to more blogging on the subject Sheila so please share them here :thumbup:

This was my two last month having a play in the school, Moo being more confident in the play than he often is and even getting the first nip in at times :lol: if I had put one pile of hay in there then the play would have been very different :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_jSYY0Zgho

Trudi

Postby Chevalblanc » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:40 pm

Loving all these vids :-D As it is sleeting out there now I have been looking through my video archives and I found this one, when Fina first arrived:

http://youtu.be/yHR60u0CUzE

It's interesting to look back on what she was like, she was so insecure from being alone for a year and having noone to rely on to keep her safe, so I reckon she decided that she was going to get in first and be in charge in case these others weren't up to the job. I wonder whether she'd have been different had she come straight to us as a four year old from the security of her herd?
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby dog-shrink » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:04 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (3.16 MiB) Viewed 616 times
Got this yesterday before the snow. Dakota and Missouri Mouse.
dog-shrink

Postby Sarah » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:26 pm

Can spend hours & hours a day just watching them :-D
Wyn lived by herself for over a year when she first moved over here, she had always lived with other horses and she was fine it didn't turn her in to a nervous wreak and when i got Cleo she wasn't overly bothered, she doesn't get attached to other horses and she can take or leave them :)
Common sense horsemanship comes free to those who have it but at a cost to those who don't!
Sarah

Postby Trudi » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:26 pm

That's one big 'photo Polly :lol:
Trudi

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:14 am

Yep, it's 4000 x 3000 pixels and over 3 MB in size. If you resize it, you get this

imagers.jpg
imagers.jpg (84.18 KiB) Viewed 597 times
Helen

Chevalblanc

Next

Return to Discussion