A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Nearly Time

Re: Nearly Time

Postby Tess and Organza » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:00 am

I agree! Pippin was on steroids for the last three or four weeks of her life with fairly advanced liver cancer and athritis in her left shoulder..she literally turned into a different dog overnight almost and was back to running a bit on walks and smiling as she had done before the cancer. We used to call her steroid dog and generally take the pee. The vet warned me not for one minute to imagine she was getting better as it is a final palliatif but she did really well on them leading me to declare on fb that all geriatrics should be on them when they become terminal !! It was only during the last few days that they had no effect and I was going to go back to the vet as he had said he could up the dose slightly but her legs went that day probably due to a small stroke so that became the point to say enough time to say goodbye.
I really hope it will be the same for Whymper, much love to you all xxx :hug:
Tess and Organza

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby JennieF » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:22 pm

:crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: Hopefully the steroids will give her a better quality of life for a while so you can enjoy the rest of your time with her ...

Henri enjoyed a little wander up the road on his own today - he's v wobbly at the moment but seems happy enough ...
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:47 pm

:crossfingers: :crossfingers: the steroids are as good for Whymper as they were for Pippin!
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Tess and Organza » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:25 pm

Chevalblanc wrote::crossfingers: :crossfingers: the steroids are as good for Whymper as they were for Pippin!

Yes to be honest the steroids might have shortened her life a little but I decided that she'd probably rather a couple of weeks less but happy than longer and miserable..based on what I would want and also Pips personality ;)
Tess and Organza

Postby spottygiraffe » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:54 pm

Tess and Organza wrote:Yes to be honest the steroids might have shortened her life a little but I decided that she'd probably rather a couple of weeks less but happy than longer and miserable..based on what I would want and also Pips personality

Exactly :thumbup:

Thanks girls, it's lovely to know that you're all following the saga and rooting for Whymps. She is a bit less staggery today and had a good half and hour outside, mooching around, eating chicken poo and barking at the horses :lol:

Great about Henri, Jennie :hurray: His quality of life still sounds very good overall.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby JennieF » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:51 pm

spottygiraffe wrote:
Tess and Organza wrote:Yes to be honest the steroids might have shortened her life a little but I decided that she'd probably rather a couple of weeks less but happy than longer and miserable..based on what I would want and also Pips personality

Exactly :thumbup:

Thanks girls, it's lovely to know that you're all following the saga and rooting for Whymps. She is a bit less staggery today and had a good half and hour outside, mooching around, eating chicken poo and barking at the horses :lol:

Great about Henri, Jennie :hurray: His quality of life still sounds very good overall.

Mooching around eating chicken poo and barking at the horses sounds like great stuff for a dog to be doing Sarah :lol: :lol:

I think less time but with more mobility has to be a good thing ... would def go that way for Henri if I need to ... for the moment he's ok - fairly confused and rather incontinent but I can cope with that, and seeing him trotting off up the road this afternoon 'on a mission' makes me think that he's still ok for the moment

As for 'les deux idiots' they are definitely 'in the dog house' this evening having taken themselves off for a ramble in the woods this morning while we were walking and not come back until after dark :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby Tess and Organza » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:04 am

Dear Henri xxx :xmaslaugh: les deux idiots! Its that hunting call isnt it :)
Spikey is in fine form despite his almost 14yrs!! He is about the same size and build as a small fox and indeed goes by the alias of 'the ole Fox' an apte description of his darker side ;)
Touch wood he has no arthritis, trots up the hill as if hes a young dog etc and is profiting greatly from being an only dog... he has a long term heart murmer and does need a check up regularly but apart from a cough now and then nothing you can notice.
As much as I miss Pippin and I do still cry over her, I can see that Spike is a different dog in terms of his emotions since she died. I've been offered countless rescue dogs and only for their sake I wondered if I should but Spike deserves this time being the 'only one' as he was always Pips underdog for so long. In any case I was so in love with Pippy that even the thought of another dog makes me sad.
Tbh as weird as this may sound Im not sure if I will get another dog after Spike goes. Alex would love a GS his favourite dogs but that will be his. I hope I have some land and woods one of these days and can just take care of wild creatures when they need it, no more cats or dogs as much as I love them dearly. Im worried by the long term these days and whether or not I can fulfill a long term responsability to a dog or cat. Does it sound crazy? I love animals so much, all animals and cherish those still in my charge of course.
Oh well we shall see as often you end up with them because they choose you rather than the other way around. But Im nolonger looking...for now :roll:
Tess and Organza

Postby Trudi » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:53 pm

Sorry just catching up here Sarah, hope she's doing OK today. Sounds like the steroids are giving Whymper some valuable extra time.
Trudi

Previous

Return to ...and other animals