A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Shawna Karrasch clinic Somerset

Re: Shawna Karrasch clinic Somerset

Postby Trudi » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:32 pm

Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday- with Jo's two and Kitty performing I'm going to enjoy it :thumbup: (although would have loved to see Dut too)
Weather looks OK at the moment- bit cooler.
Trudi

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby FlorayG » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:15 am

Wow my brain is fried this morning - I think this was one of those revelatory events, I thought i understood +R but I was Still waaaayyyy off but now I think I may have some sort of clue. Shawna spent 30 years training marine mammals before she started with horses so she says she didn't even know there was any other way to train animals ( you can't haul an orca around by force and if you withold his food he's likely to eat you instead).
So much stuff I couldn't BEGIN to list it all here but she did a huge amount about how horses easily get excited with this kind of training and how to ensure that doesn't happen - quite a few of the horses on the clinic already had this problem. One was so bad that we spent his second session ignoring him and click-and-treat every time he gave up ogling at us over the fence and wandered off disappointed. The look of total surprise on his face for getting rewarded for that was absolutely comical. Others were just too 'busy' and wanting to DO STUFF all the time and she showed how to get them to relax and wait quietly.
With Kitty was did improving the trot departs under saddle as she is pretty lax at going forward. Trot depart turned in a couple of minutes into canter departs and then into a bucking fit out of excitement and, I think, surprise at her own energy resources. Trudi has a picture... :mrgreen:
We also did teaching lunging without a lunge line ( I saw another horse already established in this and it was fascinating) and again in a few minutes had Kitty walking round in a circle and presenting a little self-carriage. I have loads and loads of stuff to work on and now I need to beg, borrow or steal some large traffic cones and some plastic barrels
FlorayG

Postby Trudi » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:37 am

Not pictures Jackie...video! I am struggling with my editing at the moment but can upload the whole clip to youtube and put the link here???

It was a fabulous clinic and so many partnerships working on such different things but all with the same ethos. I'm not brain fried but perhaps a little over excited about where I want to go with this. It was good to see Jackie and another student with 2 of her horses performing and to take away so much sound learning from it.

Take home thoughts for me...
*clarity, clarity and clarity!
*Stop using the word 'click' and use the word 'bridge' - only words but it just feels a better descriptor.
*It is very hard to teach +R to the humans but dead easy for the horses to pick it up...which is why it is probably so badly done sometimes.
*Even the greatest trainers don't always know the answer and experimenting reaps rewards- being bound by a system that doesn't allow expression in this way isn't great.

All the usual thoughts of small steps, setting up for success and failure being feedback were reinforced for me.

Shawna has the greatest energy and patience- I love her style of teaching and felt we are kindred spirits in how we treat humans and horses in lesson situations (just wish I had half her energy). Shawna is a great story teller a terrible time keeper (in the best way) and I advise anyone who can to get to see her.
Trudi

Postby FlorayG » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:54 am

yes let's see it, I thought they were pretty small bucks but some of the audience were impressed that I stayed on.
Also - somebody asked Jenny if I was her daughter :mrgreen: (Jenny is 6 years older than me)
FlorayG

Postby Trudi » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:29 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_97PH3k ... e=youtu.be

Didn't get it all and only sat on fence but around 3m20 ish you can see her launch.
Trudi

Postby FlorayG » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:30 am

Pathetic. Those aren't bucks only pops. Youse guys have never seen her when she really bucks. (thankfully :crossfingers: )
FlorayG

Postby littlewhitehorse » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:06 pm

I always enjoy the buzz and inspiration provided by clinics and group learning and despite the heavy-looking sky, it looks a fine venue and very nice arena. It was interesting to watch the video even though I have no idea what that was all about :lol: Kitty is a good-looking horse, bucks or no!
littlewhitehorse

Postby FlorayG » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:19 am

let me explain the video. We were working on trot depart and getting it a bit more light and me not having to chase her up for it.. So Shawna 'charged' the taget by giving Kitty click-and-treat every time she touched it a few times, then me asking her to walk to touch it, then Shawna moving away and me asking her to trot towards it - all with tiny light aids and then waiting for Kitty's response. She soon learned that my touch with a leg meant 'go get your treat!' so she speeded up of her own accord and got rewarded for it. This way she learns that the light touch means GO! and I don't have to kick her. She learns to associate the leg touch with something nice instead of something unpleasant.
FlorayG

Postby spottygiraffe » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:32 pm

I've read Shawna's book and I loved it -it was such a clear explanation of how +R works (although of course putting it into practice well takes years of experience). I wonder how she feels about having worked at SeaWorld now, from an ethical perspective?

Anyway, I digress. The video was great, but I did need to read Jackie's explanation to understand what was going on. I confess I was a bit baffled at first. Kitty is lovely and obviously has a lot of character :love:

Trudi wrote:Take home thoughts for me...
*clarity, clarity and clarity!
*Stop using the word 'click' and use the word 'bridge' - only words but it just feels a better descriptor.
*It is very hard to teach +R to the humans but dead easy for the horses to pick it up...which is why it is probably so badly done sometimes.
*Even the greatest trainers don't always know the answer and experimenting reaps rewards- being bound by a system that doesn't allow expression in this way isn't great.

:hurray: I love this. I also prefer the word bridge because it doesn't have to be a click and I think for some reason 'click' brings out negative reactions. I also noticed that Shawna used the word 'treat' which I found refreshing, having been slated for using it myself in a CT group. Definitely only words in that instance!

Thanks for posting the video, Trudi :thumbup:
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Previous

Return to Events