A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

WEG 2014

WEG 2014

Postby Chevalblanc » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:34 am

So is anyone watching/going? Sadly, this is as close as we got yesterday....

Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: WEG 2014

Postby fabikat » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:19 am

Have no idea how you resisted diverting Helen :wink:
I would love to been able to visit.
Have to content myself with watching it on tv
katy x
fabikat

Postby Chevalblanc » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:26 am

Had to get home for the horses, Katy, or would have been seriously tempted. Really wanted to go and see the endurance.......Ali & I are up early watching it on FEI TV, looks a tad damp over there!
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby JennieF » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:10 am

Endurance is not a spectator sport is it !!!!

The interative map on teh WEG site is interesting though ...

Personally I thing 160k is a v long way to race - wouldnt be something I would want to ask a horse to do - I just hope they all come home safely
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby Chevalblanc » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:39 pm

Wouldn't mind being on that beach today watching the endurance riders......

Sadly it would seem that one of the horses has died following a freak accident where it slipped and collided with a tree :sad:

We've also been watching the reining, bit of a difference after the hush of dressage to hear the crowd cheering and clapping all the way through the riding! Real range of riders, many being heavy handed esp with the sliding stops, but equally some lovely quiet riding from some, the Belgian team seem particularly good, you really can't see their cues and the horses seem very relaxed. Of course I loved the Appy stallion on the Italian team (Boemil Twin Robotop, very silly name), from the pic on his Facebook page he doesn't need a bridle at all :wink:

In fact we are finding most of the names highly amusing, one of the French team is riding a horse called Chicken Sandwich :lol: Other favourites are Lil Freaky Dancer, Whiz Be San Badger, Dun Git A Nicaduel and Dun Lostma Chocolate :rofl:
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby littlewhitehorse » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:42 pm

Must have been hard driving past the signs Helen!

Just watching on FR3, en direct; showing a bit of everything; just seen Zara P dressage; and some reining. Shame about the :rain:
littlewhitehorse

Postby JennieF » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:14 pm

Been glued to the Endurance all day - impressed with the UAE rider - he was with his horse at every vetting - got off when she needed to climb a steep bank up out of a river and was v quick to stop one of his crew who was frightening her with a flag - a real horseman and from his interview seems to really care about his horse.

The Dutch girl is still out on course, I hope she gets the silver as she has ridden beautifully, up off her horses back a lot of the time and riding in balance in contrast to the middle-eastern riders who are v upright and sitting on the horses backs ...
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby JennieF » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:40 pm

and when she passed the final vetting so win the gold medal - the first thing he did was give her a big kiss and a cuddle :thumbup: :thumbup:

finishing heart rate of 52 !!!!
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby Chevalblanc » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:51 pm

I liked the Sheikh's attitude to his horse too :-D He didn't just hand her over to his minions whenever he got off.....felt a bit sorry for the commentator having to say Sheikh Hamdan bin Mahd al Maktoum all the time though! Impressed with the Dutch girl getting silver, she's only 21. Ali heard that the youngest competitor was only 14 and reckons she wants to give it a go now :wink:
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby M-E » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:06 pm

Hope that some is shown on horse and counrty tonight, haven't seen any yet :roll: I have been following Jim Masterson blod as he is in the USA endurance tean, amazing stuff all the back ground work, wonder how the yanks did :hmmm:
M-E

Next

Return to In the news.....