A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Horse dumped in garden

Horse dumped in garden

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:07 am

Some of you will have seen the story about the horse killed and dumped in the owner's garden over a dispute about livery bills:

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/hor ... EqxRXzW.01

There has since been an update, it would seem the dispute was about a mere £30! And the livery owner claims he acted in the "best possible way"......

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/1153829 ... ?ref=fbshr
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Horse dumped in garden

Postby poneysPie » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:26 am

Shocking and despicable behaviour, poor horse being treated like through no fault of it's own.

However, whilst I am in no way condoning their behavior, how many times are livery yard owners left with unpaid bills & the horse to feed & keep when owners just stop paying and/or go AWOL. Regardless of their compassion/love of horses, or lack of it in this instance, they are running a business and have building & land to upkeep and bills to pay. Two sides to every story and all that, perhaps the poor bloke had just got to the end of his tether and snapped.

:hide:

just to add... some people really do take the piss. A few winters ago I took in a horse for a friend of a friend. Bloke buys horse as friend said he could keep it at his expect friend hadn't fenced his paddock yet and riding school eventually evicted said horse as they needed the stable. Horse was supposed to be with me for 2 weeks..... 2 months later, horse is still here. Owner only came to see him twice, I was getting fed up as he was a big skinny TB eating into my ponies winter hay supply. Owner was paying me for his hay, but both him and my friend didn't see this as a problem because I could buy more hay regardless of the fact that I would have the added hassle of sourcing it and then transporting it.
“Ask often; be content with little, praise a great deal.” (Nuno Oliveira)
poneysPie

Postby spottygiraffe » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:22 am

Just bizarre and terrible.

poneysPie wrote:how many times are livery yard owners left with unpaid bills & the horse to feed & keep when owners just stop paying and/or go AWOL.

Yes, that is true and some people do take the piss.
poneysPie wrote:Owner was paying me for his hay, but both him and my friend didn't see this as a problem because I could buy more hay regardless of the fact that I would have the added hassle of sourcing it and then transporting it.

I totally understand. Have you reached a solution with it, Nicky?
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:38 pm

Will be interesting to see if any more details materialise, according to the article it was just £30 that was owed, so the livery owner's reaction seems somewhat extreme, but the horse was only on loan to this woman, so I wonder if the actual owner had previously run up a huge bill or something?

Anyway, as usual, it's the poor horse that lost out, regardless of the rights and wrongs of the case :sad:
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Late Starter » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:51 pm

Do we need to licence livery yards?
Late Starter

Postby poneysPie » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:04 pm

Late Starter wrote:Do we need to licence livery yards?

No, IMHO it's some of the Clients who should be licenced!!!!

There's got to be more to it than a £30 debt. Even a weeks DIY is going to cost at least £30.

Sarah, I had to borrow M-E's BGP & insist my friend did his fencing. Then the owner kept phoning up with excuses as to why he couldn't come move the poor horse on the arranged day, so I loaded the poor bugger into my trailer and drove it up there myself.
“Ask often; be content with little, praise a great deal.” (Nuno Oliveira)
poneysPie

Postby spottygiraffe » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:03 am

poneysPie wrote:No, IMHO it's some of the Clients who should be licenced!!!!

There's got to be more to it than a £30 debt. Even a weeks DIY is going to cost at least £30.

Sarah, I had to borrow M-E's BGP & insist my friend did his fencing. Then the owner kept phoning up with excuses as to why he couldn't come move the poor horse on the arranged day, so I loaded the poor bugger into my trailer and drove it up there myself.

I agree about the £££. Gosh, well done for the BGPs -you are so brave!
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby Trudi » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:06 am

We had two livery ponies 'dumped' at the last yard, lucky for them the owner of the yard fed them and rugged the old one as he was skin and bone. In the end she had to pay for the old boy to be pts and the body dealt with (a fortune in itself). The other one is still there but at least is cared for although at the expense of the yard owner. I hear tales that ponies are dumped on the moor when folks can no longer afford them :sad:
I am sure there is more to this story that we are not hearing.
Trudi

Postby spottygiraffe » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:22 am

Trudi wrote:We had two livery ponies 'dumped' at the last yard, lucky for them the owner of the yard fed them and rugged the old one as he was skin and bone. In the end she had to pay for the old boy to be pts and the body dealt with (a fortune in itself). The other one is still there but at least is cared for although at the expense of the yard owner. I hear tales that ponies are dumped on the moor when folks can no longer afford them

OMG :sad:
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby Tanya » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:51 am

WORDS fail me - saw it on FB !!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
Tanya

Next

Return to In the news.....