A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Olympia

Olympia

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:56 am

Big hoo ha on social media today as Bertram Allen got disqualified from the Grand Prix for blood showing on his horse's flank.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/ber ... pia-521678

Link to a pic of the damage: https://mobile.twitter.com/McArdleBrend ... 04/photo/1

Personally I'm more concerned about the rules allowing people to put stuff like this on a horse's face.......

Or allowed to ride into the ring with their chins on their chest. Ali and I started watching a class the other day and gave up in the end as there were just too many horses having a hard time :sad:
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Olympia

Postby spottygiraffe » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:39 pm

I can't watch it anymore. I no longer enjoy watching any competitive horse events and tbh I even struggled with going to watch Talls in the Pony Club Christmas games on Saturday! I am getting flakier and flakier. Talls has lost her nerve after two falls in a row so she just walked and gently trotted but you can imagine the yanking and kicking that was going on.

How much abuse do these animals have to take in the name of sport/entertainment?

I'm a bit sick of people at the moment after the latest lot of cats were dumped in my orchard. Sorry, I'm in danger of going off into a huge rant so I'd better leave it there!

So Olympia -yes, not for me! I feel a certain sadness about that because it was always a highlight but I never realised there were so many things 'wrong' with it.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:35 pm

spottygiraffe wrote:
So Olympia -yes, not for me! I feel a certain sadness about that because it was always a highlight but I never realised there were so many things 'wrong' with it.

I agree, used to love watching it. But did they have these horrible bits and nosebands back in the day? or did we just not notice or think anything of it, like we didn't with the shoes?

Unsurprisingly, this has come up for some discussion in the Concordia Equestrians group, I like this comment:

"we should ban spurs, whips and certain bits from competitions... then it would be a level playing field for all and would increase the challenge level and difficulty for the riders, rather than always increasing the challenge for the horses."
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby M-E » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:38 pm

Chevalblanc wrote:
I agree, used to love watching it. But did they have these horrible bits and nosebands back in the day? or did we just not notice or think anything of it, like we didn't with the shoes?"

I was actually watching a old vid yesterday, David Broome I think it was, and yes lots of gear, also I have memories of horses being whipped if they refused. Robert Smith comes to mind, I think it was him that cause the show jumping world take a look and start to change, I think a lot has changed, I don't remember seeing many whips this year, I could be wrong also it sounds like the Puissance has changed too they have to stop at round 5 even if more than two horses go clear' I was happy with some of the horses and I was surprised and pleased to even see some caverson & snaffle combinations, a few with out martingale an even a bitless one, some I did just want to remove from their horses and slap them, the Italin guy for one, also John Witikers horse in the Puissance had a seriously tight noseband, I did see it another comp and it was looser. Also didn't like the amount at the prize giving with draw reins, I know that they are big horses with loads of va va voom but the other guys manage.

I would love to see more of the other stuff, the carriage driving, the household calvary, dog stuff, etc,

Can't remember the name but the guy last year who does parelle and clicker with his horses, caused a real stir, he also does some show jumping barefoot, when he won the Puissance he horse had no shoes on the hinds, so much for they had etc have studs to jump.

If they can start to be big names things will change more I feel
M-E

Postby spottygiraffe » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:19 pm

Chevalblanc wrote:I agree, used to love watching it. But did they have these horrible bits and nosebands back in the day? or did we just not notice or think anything of it, like we didn't with the shoes?

I can't have noticed because I'm sure I never saw anything like that contraption in the pic in your first post, Helen. I remember lots of flashes and grackles but not too much metalwork.

Chevalblanc wrote:"we should ban spurs, whips and certain bits from competitions... then it would be a level playing field for all and would increase the challenge level and difficulty for the riders, rather than always increasing the challenge for the horses."

Yes, that's very good!

M-E wrote:Also didn't like the amount at the prize giving with draw reins, I know that they are big horses with loads of va va voom but the other guys manage.

Exactly, they're meant to be amongst the best riders in the world.... I don't get it :?

M-E wrote: I think a lot has changed, I don't remember seeing many whips this year, I could be wrong also it so is change rounds like the Puissance has changed too they have to stop at round 5 even if more than two horses go clear'

Would be good if there are changes afoot for sure. I used to love the puissance best of all and I do feel sad that I can't enjoy it anymore but it is just too extreme.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:22 pm

The one I really didn't like was Michael Whitaker riding Viking, the horse in the pic above. Not nice. And I agree about the Italian! He's no Luca Moneta :thumbdown:

Just had a brief search for some pics of the old days. I remember Milton was always in a grackle noseband.....

...and poor little Jappeloup had a Pelham or sometimes a double

Here's David Broome on Mr Softee, I liked him cos he was named after the ice cream :lol:

And of course Harvey Smith, here on Sanyo Sanmar

Last one, Caroline Bradley in the 60s, things were a lot more plain and simple then......

Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby M-E » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:55 pm

Yep at the pics & vids I have seen, lots have martingales, grackle, drop, flashes ect but the bits pelhams or snaffles wondering if may be in the last 40 years they have all been invented :hmmm:
M-E

Postby littlewhitehorse » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:03 pm

Thanks for digging out the oldies for the oldies Helen :lol: I think there was a lot less hardware in those days, see photos, it was more likely to be short martingales for extra control. David Broome was my :love: always a quiet rider but could still find those seconds faster in a jump off.
If Luca Moneta can win with less not more it shows it's possible :-D
littlewhitehorse

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:32 pm

Just watching the GP at Olympia on the iPlayer. In the first round precisely 2 (out of over 30) riders have come in on horses only wearing a snaffle and plain cavesson. One of those, a Frenchman, didn't even have a martingale on. When his horse, which was clearly wound up by the atmosphere, crashed into a fence, the commentator said “he hasn’t got a great deal of tack on to control him” :xmaseyes:

I notice too that some of them haven't clipped the horse on the flanks where the spurs touch them.......can't think why!!
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby M-E » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:03 pm

Yep there not too praising about the bitless guy either, along the lines of "all he has is that little bitless bridle" :roll:
M-E

Next

Return to In the news.....