A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Would you?

Re: Would you?

Postby Tess and Organza » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:35 pm

That makes sense in theory, but I still could not. I think it is the greif element, I know that a truck arriving to crane your dead horse away is a brutal final vision, and you would have to divorce your feelings from the body and think only of your horse friend as a live being, but I couldn't do this if that body was in bits in my freezer :shock: ...the girl in question, I respect her decision, each to their own,I don't think she a terrible person or anything!but she said apparently that everytime she takes some out of the freezer she remembers the good times they shared :? , however unpractical of me,in the economics of waste etc, this seems really bizarre (to me)!! wouldn't photos be a nicer way to remember?! The pones at pony club were shot and went the hounds when I was a kid, it freaked me right out even then, it's probably just me! I'm sorry, I'm massively sentimental and spirtitual about how things should be done, I used to bury my hens with an egg under their wing,and flowers and a handful of grain... :hide: I am nuts, I know...don't unleash too many sarky coms please ladies :lol: By the way, could you Helen?...eat Gandalf? you never said.....
Tess and Organza

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby Late Starter » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:30 pm

JennieF wrote:By the way, could you Helen?...eat Gandalf? you never said.....

Candy might :lol: if he wasn't pumped full of drugs (Gandalf I mean) :stir:
Late Starter

Postby Tess and Organza » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:09 pm

Candy might :lol: if he wasn't pumped full of drugs (Gandalf I mean) :stir:

:lol: :lol: love this forum :-D
Tess and Organza

Postby Chevalblanc » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:40 pm

Yes I probably could eat him, but as it says cheval exclu de la consommation humaine on his papers, I wouldn't........no problem with him going to the kennels though.
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby Tess and Organza » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:54 pm

Somehow I knew you'd say that.... :wink: :lol: mine are exclu too I think ?
Tess and Organza

Postby Chevalblanc » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:34 pm

It should say so on the front of their carnets......
Helen

Chevalblanc

Postby JennieF » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:50 pm

what difference does what it says on their paperwork make .... apparently, I heard somewhere, the whole "not for human consumption" thing has changed anyway....
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby spottygiraffe » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:08 pm

Tess and Organza wrote:I'm massively sentimental and spirtitual about how things should be done, I used to bury my hens with an egg under their wing,and flowers and a handful of grain...

I have ritual burials for everyone, including hens and hamsters -although we don't lose many hens to natural causes so there's not normally a body :sad: We put wild flowers in with them and cats and dogs get wrapped in soft blankets. Whenever I see an animal that's been killed on the road or similar I have a little blessing that I say over them out of respect for their life.

Tess and Organza wrote:everytime she takes some out of the freezer she remembers the good times they shared

That is so freaky to me too, but whatever floats your boat!

I couldn't feed mine to the dogs either and while even that makes me feel sick to the stomach I think it's a good use of resources and I would have a lot of respect for anyone who did make that decision. When I've croaked they can do whatever they want with my body -organ donation or I wouldn't even mind a load of medical students taking the piss out of my saggy bits. Whatever your beliefs when you've seen dead bodies (human or animal) it's so obvious that the life force has gone and they are literally empty shells.
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby M-E » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:37 pm

JennieF wrote:what difference does what it says on their paperwork make .... apparently, I heard somewhere, the whole "not for human consumption" thing has changed anyway....

They took Tikys not for human consumption off his papers when I changed them to put my name on it :thumbdown:

Don't think I could eat my boys and to be honest once they are pass about three or four they are going to get a bit chewy, stew only :wink: . no problem with them going to the hunt but I still couldn't do feeding them to my own dogs
M-E

Postby Chevalblanc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:59 pm

JennieF wrote:what difference does what it says on their paperwork make ....

Apparently, if they have ever been given drugs that are not allowed in the human food chain, the papers are marked not for human consumption. So presumably at some point before I got him, G had been given something that took him out if the food chain. This hasn't been changed in the new regs from the Haras, the only change is that any horse not registered within 12 months of its birth is automatically excluded from human consumption so no idea why it's no longer on Tiky's papers. They have apparently given the passport a new look though so maybe it's written somewhere else now?

http://www.ifce.fr/haras-nationaux/nouv ... sire-2016/
Helen

Chevalblanc

PreviousNext

Return to In the news.....