A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

Fetlocks and Forelocks

Re: Fetlocks and Forelocks

Postby spottygiraffe » Wed May 29, 2013 3:09 am

Thanks so much, Janet :thumbup: It has taken me ages to get to this point but it just suddenly fell into place, so I'm sure it will for you too. I am usually contorting myself in some way so it's good that you think I was looking reasonably straight. I think my shoulders could have been better though....
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Postby fabikat » Wed May 29, 2013 5:05 am

going well Sarah, well done.
btw good luck with the marathon :crossfingers:
katy x
fabikat

Postby spottygiraffe » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:59 am

It's ok, don't fall off your chairs, I haven't actually ridden or anything! Just thought I'd update on my lot as they are in their field ornament mode.

Izzie: She's got those scabs on her white socks that I previously thought was mud fever and then a St John's Wort allergy. It can't be SJW because I have been scrupulous about removing every single strand of it from the property (plus Squaw is fine). The only thing that has ever helped it was Wound Powder -I have literally tried every other product for horse or human or farm animal on the planet. I was treating her this morning and she remembered all the work I've done in previous years getting her to hold her legs up for me -bless her! It tugs at my heartstrings because she hates it but she is trying really hard for me. I've also had to cut out a section of her mane that got a bit dreadlocky, but it doesn't look too silly.

Squaw: A bit fat (no surprise there) but adorable and cuddly as usual. Her coat still hasn't grown back perfectly after last year -it is patchy in places and the skin seems drier underneath. The white part of her mane that completely came off is about 10cms long now, so she is starting to look much better.

Mav: Mav has grown up! He's 6 1/2 and he is just such a good boy. He has learned a bit more patience and will happily stand for his whole trim without getting bored. He's also stopped mouthing and chewing on stuff.

In general -we've got loads of grass so I'm not feeding hay yet. 120 small bales stacked nicely ready for when I need it. The flies have only just become a problem, but now they've arrived they are horrid. Horses getting through a lot of salt -not sure why because the summer has been cooler than usual.

Thanks for reading :-D
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby fabikat » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:43 am

:thumbup:
Good to have an update about your neds Sarah.
Glad to hear they are well and happy. a field ornament is obviously not so bad :lol:
katy x
fabikat

Postby Trudi » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:16 pm

Lovely to hear about the gang, sounds like they are all doing well. How is it going with Sylvie's lot?
Trudi

Postby Chevalblanc » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:42 pm

Blimey, I actually thought you'd got on board then! :lol: :lol:

spottygiraffe wrote: Her coat still hasn't grown back perfectly after last year -it is patchy in places and the skin seems drier underneath.

Nor has Kinna's, she has some very odd patches with really bristly hair where you can still see the skin through it :?
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby spottygiraffe » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:14 pm

fabikat wrote:a field ornament is obviously not so bad

They don't seem to mind!

Trudi wrote:How is it going with Sylvie's lot?

Very well. The two herds can't see each other but I expect they know they're there. Still tons of grazing for everyone -what a year! There are only three here at the moment because Claude is working an ex-racehorse for someone so she's living at their house and they took the Paint gelding back to keep her company. It was love at first sight.

Chevalblanc wrote:Blimey, I actually thought you'd got on board then!

Well I didn't want to shock anyone too much :lol:

Chevalblanc wrote:she has some very odd patches with really bristly hair where you can still see the skin through it

Yes, exactly the same I would say.

Just need to work out what the heck Izzie's allergy is to. I really thought I'd got to the bottom of it last year. It cleared up when they were moved into the other paddock so I need to do that asap, but there are a couple of days' fence repairs to do. The chestnut posts that I put in 5 years ago have all decided to rot at once so I need to replace them with acacia. We've got the posts but the ground is too hard, despite all the rain. Wish I'd known about chestnut -what a false economy :banghead: I have certainly learnt a lot in general since then!
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

Postby littlewhitehorse » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:41 pm

Good to have an update on the horses and Mav of course! Another mystery allergy :confused:

Are acacia piquets very expensive? I'm rebuilding my round-pen - ongoing job as you say, ground too hard, should have been finished in the spring - and using chestnut as I thought the posts that rotted were the oak ones I used because we had them :roll: I am soaking the bases in old engine oil this time.

There are some old chestnut posts around the fields some of which must be over 30 years old and are still good- so maybe it depends on the cut or something?
littlewhitehorse

Postby JennieF » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:28 pm

I always thought that chestnut was good too but the bottoms of the upright posts of my post and rail are def looking rotten and the fencing is starting to get a little bit wobbly :thumbdown: :thumbdown: .... whereas the rails which are creosote treated pine are absolutely fine ... and we did soak the ends of the uprights in a mix of engine oil and creosote ...

Great to hear about your Gs Sarah - glad they are all well. I wonder if Squaw & Kinna will always have some degree of skin damage or if they will be back to normal by next summer ... :crossfingers: :crossfingers:
ImageImageImageImage
JennieF

Postby spottygiraffe » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:46 pm

Well, the chestnut posts I got were from Pole Vert and they were meant to be treated. They weren't expensive though, so perhaps I should have smelt a rat. They have literally all rotted after the same amount of time -5 years. The acacia posts we have are old ones from the vineyard. We've pulled them out and they're still as good as new.

I'm hoping Kinns and Squaw will be back to normal next year -Howard seemed to think it would take 2 years.
Sarah x

spottygiraffe

PreviousNext

Return to Blogs