A Matter of Horse

All things Equine, all over the world.

Facebook Pinterest Twitter

The fat horse thing again

The fat horse thing again

Postby FlorayG » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:02 am

Kitty is going into winter fat. She's not going to come out of it again fat, this is how I lost control this year. I have had the following suggestions and I would like your opinions;
1. clip and no rug - will this help her lose weight? She lives out, there's plenty of shelter in the field. If so, what clip to do?
2. stabled at night with soaked hay and out on the day with a muzzle on. That's a lot of work and huge extra expense for me but maybe I don't need to do it all winter? If so, do it now or wait until after Christmas?
3. on a track system inside the field. This will be all mud in a few weeks and I will have to feed hay ( when there is a field full of free food right next to it)
FlorayG

Share On:

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: The fat horse thing again

Postby Chevalblanc » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:57 pm

I've never tried clipping and not rugging (have never clipped a horse in my life) but am wondering if it might be an idea for Tari too, she's so fat even with the grazing muzzle on (and she's becoming expert at getting out of that now). Livery owner won't let us divide the field up into smaller areas :sad:
Helen

ImageImageImageImageImage
Chevalblanc

Postby spottygiraffe » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:59 am

I would go with option 3 -track system and living out. I definitely wouldn't do the stable/muzzle option, she will be far better moving around 24 hours a day. I know it's a pain feeding hay when there's grazing, but maybe the grass will die down a bit and become less rich and you'll be able to put her back in the main paddock after a while.

Mine didn't lose weight last winter because it was so mild but then it has been arid this summer so the grass has been very dry and they're not too podgy at the moment. I don't mind if they carry a bit of extra weight going into winter, but as you say, it's difficult if they don't lose it!
Sarah x

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
spottygiraffe

Postby Trudi » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:12 am

Always tricky. Option 2 for a while to see if it did the trick but for a long term solution option 3.
Trudi

Postby Tess and Organza » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:11 pm

mine stayed immense all winter too as it was so mild and wet and where i was i had no choice, hay on tap 24hrs a day which I agree with if it was very cold.
I'd go for option3 and if you clip because of working her and sweating up I'd rug if it became necessary but just see how she does without as long as she has enough hay to keep herself warm, keep her central heating going as it were, without fattening.
Don't know much about clipping but would presume its best to leave everything unclipped apart from underneath and chest,
Personally Im hoping for a nice cold dry winter :thumbup:
Tess and Organza

Postby FlorayG » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:07 am

and now I hear we are in for 3 months of snow this winter ( anybody else read that?) so that might just do the trick
FlorayG

Postby littlewhitehorse » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:29 pm

Long, long ago when I had a suitable horse and occasionally got offered a day's hunting, it would be a blanket clip or a trace clip which leaves the back on and clips the sweaty bits, if I remember this correctly, and the horse lived out unless it was really cold and wet. Or maybe he was stabled and not rugged...
You don't mention work but it is work and exercise which will burn the fat isn't it? With a partial clip you could exercise more.
Otherwise option 3, which is what I would do these days by choice. As others have said, grass here has dried up after the long hot summer but my next field for use is the one they didn't cut hay and the grass is long and thick :(
littlewhitehorse

Postby FlorayG » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:27 pm

I can't exercise in winter I don't get to the farm until after dark :cry:
FlorayG

Postby littlewhitehorse » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:03 pm

FlorayG wrote:I can't exercise in winter I don't get to the farm until after dark :cry:

I can remember being in that situation too :sad:
littlewhitehorse

Return to Environment